SPECedit is a word processing editor designed exclusively for construction specifications. It allows designers to quickly reduce master specifications created in any in any Word format into a single project specification file with a minimum of effort.
Designed exclusively for construction specifications
SPECedit is built upon the technology of NMS-Edit. NMS-Edit has been available for the Windows family of computers since 1983. Architects, engineers, specification writers, building owners and government agencies across the country use and recommend NMS-Edit for construction specifications.
SPECedit connects to 3D CAD models using Model Probe™. Check here for a description of Model Probe. Model Probe ensures your specification matches the properties in your model, saving you the potential of costly change orders if the design is misinterpreted.
By taking advantage of the graphical user interface of Windows and integrating project management features, this new version, called SPECedit is easier to use than ever before.
SPECedit is designed to be simple enough that architects, engineers and specification writers can use it, reducing the amount of proof reading and extra checking needed. It has tools and features that make specification writing a dream.
3D CAD models
Model Probe is an OpenBIM connection to 3D models. Model Probe understands the model data and interprets it for your specification.
Using Model Probe with specEDIT, you are able to select entities and their properties from a model and insert a paragraph or table into your specification containing the same data, easily. Once the data is placed, should the model be updated and the properties changed, your specification will update automatically.
Model Probe features
- Select entity types in your model, e.g. doors from the specification.
- Select material properties, e.g. concrete, for building property specifications.
- Choose entity properties (e.g. door function, door finishes) to be shown in the specification.
- Build specification text with the door criteria into the proper section.
- If the model changes, update the specification with the changes.
- Generate a report of the differences found in either view of the design.
- Model Probe reads IFC files exclusively, using OpenBIM!
6-Digit MasterFormat 2004 numbering
The editor supports sections numbered with 5, 6, 8 or 10 digits.
Microsoft Word™ Import and Export
The project can be exported to multiple Word files with one command. Underlining and bolding for each exported type of title can be specified. Word files numbered according to SectionFormat™ numbering can be imported into the project and become identical in format to any other NMS section.
Link to TechStreet for up-to-date standard version verification
Click on a standard number in the Section Viewer to be taken directly to the TechStreet standard.
Cut and paste between documents
Copy text within a section or between sections in a project. Entire paragraphs or articles are easily copied.
Automatic pagination and continuation
When sections are printed, paragraphs are not broken between pages and 2-column sections show the previous paragraph header at the top of each page.
Quick cleanup of spec notes and option fields
Use the toolbar buttons for easy cleanup of your section.
Protection of master files
Master NMS and DDN files are never overwritten and remain in the project for future use on another job.
Automatic paragraph renumbering
Paragraphs are automatically numbered on-the-fly, or set the numbering to be delayed until the section editing is complete.
User created master files
Pre-edit your new NMS masters to become a set of office masters for all to use.
Project control features of SPECedit
SPECedit is more than just a specialized word processor. It includes full project control including but not limited to:
Automatic project creation
When a project is initialised, all section masters and edits are available for editing and reporting.
Single project file
A single file containing your complete project set means that you will not misplace individual sections, making printing and archiving the job easy.
Automatic list of contents
Build a list of contents for the project with proper page numbers and a drawing list with one command.
Report of standards used in the project
The project manager will list all the standards referenced in the project, including user-defined ones.
Report of out-of-date standards in the project
The project manager will warn you of standard numbers throughout the entire project that are out of date, with one command.
Cross-reference of related sections
The project manager will flag sections referenced in the project but missing from the project.
Font and format changes across the entire project
Font and layout (wide-page or 2-column) changes are made at the project level and automatically sent to each section.
Headers changed automatically
Change the Project Name, Publication Date or the size of all section headers with a single command.
Multiple files open at once
Up to eight sections may be edited at once, facilitating copy-and-paste.
Hypertext based Help system
Find the help you need under the Help menu.
SPECeditThe basic version of SPECedit
- <p>+6-Digit MasterFormat 2004 numbering</p><p>+Microsoft Word Import and Export</p><p>+Link to TechStreet for up-to-date standard version verification</p><p>+Cut and paste between documents</p><p>+Quick cleanup of Spec Notes and Option fields</p><p>+Automatic paragraph renumbering</p><p>+and much more</p>
SPECedit with Model ProbeThe ultimate version of SPECedit
- <p>+6-Digit MasterFormat 2004 numbering</p><p>+Microsoft Word Import and Export</p><p>+Link to TechStreet for up-to-date standard version verification</p><p>+Cut and paste between documents</p><p>+Quick cleanup of spec notes and option fields</p><p>+Automatic paragraph renumbering</p><p>+Select entity types in your model, e.g. doors from the specification</p><p>+Select material properties, e.g. concrete, for building property specifications</p><p>+Choose entity properties (e.g. door function, door finishes) to be shown in the specification</p><p>+Build specification text with the door criteria into the proper section</p><p>+and much more</p>
Upgrade to SPECedit with Model ProbeUpgrade time!
- <p>+ Select entity types in your model, e.g. doors from the specification</p><p>+ Select material properties, e.g. concrete, for building property specifications</p><p>+ Choose entity properties (e.g. door function, door finishes) to be shown in the specification</p><p>+ Build specification text with the door criteria into the proper section,</p><p>+ and much more</p>
Still not convinced?
Try out the free demo!
Click here to download the Demo version
Just let us know who you are.